Redwood City, CA, United States
Crystal Dynamics is an award-winning, top of class game development studio located just south of San Francisco in sunny Redwood City, CA. Founded in 1992, Crystal Dynamics has grown into a world class studio by developing iconic franchises and keeping at the forefront of the very latest in technology and graphics. Crystal Dynamics is owned by Publisher/Developer Square-Enix, Inc., which boasts a multimillion-dollar international portfolio of intellectual properties that few can match with respect to brand recognition and units sold.
Having created beloved properties such as Gex and the Legacy of Kain series, as well as driving the massively successful Tomb Raider franchise, Crystal Dynamics is now laying the groundwork for the next generation of innovative and technologically stunning projects. For more information, please visit www.crystald.com
Crystal Dynamics is seeking a Lead Engineer. As the Lead, you’ll be partnering with other core leads to build a high quality AAA game. The Lead will manage, structure, coordinate, and organize the engineering team. The Lead is expected to work with minimal overhead and possess all of the requisite game related programming skills and relevant work experience in order to hire, grow, and manage a team as well as execute on the game vision. This role requires taking on ownership and the responsibility of delivering cutting-edge games.
- Create, review and approve technical design documents
- Direct other engineers to build quality code, and follow good engineering processes.
- Collaborates with Team Leadership on priorities, features, scheduling
- Acts as a mentor and direct supervisor for other engineers. The lead will be responsible for training new engineers and participating in design and technical reviews.
- Mentor engineers, either by being an expert in one or more fields of game engineering, or by being a well-rounded generalist.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and solve problems.
Competencies, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Mastery of two or more fundamental game development skills such as gameplay, online multi-player, performance and optimization, graphics, 3D math, physics or AI.
- Able to design, implement, and optimize code in new and existing systems.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences, including productive feedback and brainstorming
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements, and to predict possible development issues or roadblocks ahead of time.
- Highly Desired:
- Experience working as a game lead on a AAA title throughout its life cycle.
- Proven ability to recommend adoption of relevant technical approaches or improvements to process.
- At least 5-7 years' experience programming games (equivalences will be considered) – Strong OO design and development in C++. Experience with C# is a plus
- Knowledgeable in overall game architecture and tools, ideally with specific experience in one or more areas of game development (game systems, tools, platform experience, GUI, engine, etc.)
- Experience developing for Xbox One, PS4, PC, and modern gaming platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.